Dear World Changer,
How do I read the Bible? What is the best way to connect with God when I am on my own? Where do I start? What is the formula Christians use? Chances are you have pondered these questions and have tried to follow the same formula of Bible reading and praying and still no connection with God. Then you get discouraged or disappointed leaving you in a spiritual rut and feeling like you can’t make your way out!!
Well girl YOU ARE NOT ALONE! I have felt overwhelmed many times not knowing where to start or what to do when I don’t ‘’feel’’ like pressing in with God. I have been tempted to lean on mimicking how mentors connect with God on a daily or follow a formula. BUT guess what? There is no formula!! God did not create us all to connect with Him the same way, there is no one-size fits all when it comes to worshiping God! Therefore, look for ways to connect with God that are TRUE to WHO GOD CREATED YOU TO BE! This is where you may need to look at your personality and how you learn best.
What are some creative ways to connect with God? How do you create a devotional life that works for you? you may ask. Below are a list a creative ways to incorporate in your devotional life.
Just remember God won’t be more impressed with you if you do any or all of these activities listed below. Reality is He is after you HEART!
The intention of the list of ideas are to spark passion to get to know yourself in how you learn and explore YOUR relationship with God! ENJOY the journey of exploring God and getting to know Him and his word!!
Creative devotional ideas through personality, interest, and learning styles (visual, logical, verbal, physical, social)
- Going for a prayer walk or ride your bike around your neighborhood.
- Reading your Bible outside
- Worshiping God while watching the sunset\sunrise or another scenic scene, thanking God for nature’s beauty, His creation.
- Meditating on God’s word revealed in through ART (music, dance, painting, film, etc)
- JOURNALING. This can be writing paragraphs, writing bullet points, drawing etc. I have started using a sketchbook where I use many different colored pens used different fonts to get my thoughts and ideas across. Have fun and discover what you enjoying doing with your journal for it is highly encouraged to keep a journal of sermons notes, bible reading notes, and writing about your personal journal with God. This can be a tool to look back upon in future devotions.
- Go where it inspires you or where you do what you love. Go read God’s word, pray at a place you like to be. (e.g. soccer field, basketball court, stage, dance floor, honkey arena, view with water, playground, kitchen, library, computer lab, bakery, the mall)
- Writing verses on index cards, hang them up around your house, keep some in your purse or backpack.
- Find ways to memorize verses that accommodate your learning style.
- Record yourself saying verses and promises in scripture to listen back to later
- Read Bible in chronological order
- Listen to the Bible on audio. I listen to the Bible in my car instead of the radio sometimes or when I am doing chores this has been a huge part of my daily life.
- Listen and study worship music. Research your favourite worship songs and artist get to know the reasons behind the lyrics. Watch interviews of artist get to know their story. This may encourage you and give you even more passion for that particular song.
When you get stuck and do not know where to start.
- PRAY in various positions: standing, pacing, kneeling with hands raised, dancing, laying face-down, sitting in child’s pose etc)
- Say Lord’s prayer Matthew 6:12
- Pick a weekly word and look it up in a Bible’s glossary and it will link words to verses (e.g. love, Sabbath, glory, evil, redeem etc)
- Pick topics you are interested in or thought about (e.g. Forgiveness, Servanthood, Honouring parents, Sex, self-esteem etc.) look them up where you can find them in the Bible and read.
- Pick people to study in the Bible (e.g. Ruth, Paul, Jacob, Elijah, Jonah etc.)
- Write down prayer list to remind you who and what to pray for. Write down prayer requests. Divide prayer requests into 7 day week where you can pray for each request a least once week. Write down things you have prayed for, therefore can look back on and reflect if it has been answered
- Read devotional book Recommendation:
’Why on Earth am I here for’’ by Rick warren
‘’Power Thoughts’’ by Joyce Myers
‘’Jesus Today’’ Sara Young
- Read devotionals through apps: YouVersion, Bible gateway, She Reads Truth.
- Watch sermons, listen to podcasts.
- Use resources aimed for children. For example I use ‘’Superbook’’ an app that simplifies Bible text and includes videos and games.
- Getting alone. Practicing solitude getting away from people and daily tasks.
- Do devotions with others. Use social media. Meet with one, two, or five friends for bible study. Do woman’s devotional with your Mom or mentor.
The list can go on and on. I encourage you to talk to other followers to get more ideas. But know you are more creative than you think. Just use what you like to do, your personality, and learning style and soar.
‘’Your devotions may seem ordinary today, but God is making something extraordinary through it’’
I want to camp on the importance of CONSISTENCY and DISCIPLINE when it comes to your devotional life. Like I mentioned before where do you go when you don’t ‘’feel’’ like pressing in and excuses come into play. For example I have been establishing a specific time of day in the morning before work to have God time. By giving yourself a specific time keeps you accountable to that time and it becomes a habit where without it your day is off. Devotions can be sketched in weekly and monthly as well (e.g. meeting with a few friends monthly, having a weekly devotion with a friend over You Version app. Maybe this looks like every Monday night you listen to a sermon online. Possibilities are endless but create what works for you and be consistent with it and have self-discipline to work through it and making God a priority.
Just remember God is after your HEART not your works! For it is how we worship rather than all we do.
How do you feel most connected to God? What ideas above do you want to try? What other creative ideas do you have?
Please SHARE we would love to hear from you!
LIVE A LIFE WITH WORSHIP THAT MATTERS, WORLD CHANGER